Broadcast workflows vary greatly, but many (if not most) of them share the need to keep latency to a minimum. An example is virtual sets, often used in election coverage and increasingly in newscasting.
More examples include:
- On-air/Live broadcast graphics
- Virtual Sets
- Real-time Video/Digital Cinema Production
DirectGMA is AMD’s proprietary API for direct memory transfers between PCI devices. DirectGMA technology enables very high performance, low latency, high-bandwidth peer-to-peer data transfers between devices on host systems to acquire in a SAPPHIRE GPRO E-Series Graphics. Devices supporting DirectGMA can write directly into the local memory of SAPPHIRE GPRO E-Series Graphics and vice versa. This functionality can dramatically reduce latency and host system “overhead” as needed for Real-Time broadcasting and other types of high-speed communications applications.
DirectGMA Key features and benefits:
- Fully supports the new SAPPHIRE GPRO E-Series Commercial Graphics Solutions
(GPRO E9260 and E8870).
- Low-latency, high throughput GPU acceleration for real-time professional video and broadcast graphics pipelines
- Open-platform support for all major third-party PCIe SDI I/O manufacturers*
(* 3rd party SDI I/O hardware needs to support DirectGMA technology)
- Allows device on the bus to write directly into this area of GPU memory
Allow GPUs to write directly into the memory of remote devices on the bus supporting DirectGMA
- Provides a driver interface to allow 3rd party hardware vendors to support data exchange with an AMD GPU using DirectGMA
- Peer-to-Peer Transfers between GPUs
Use high-speed DMA transfers to copy data between the memories of two GPUs on the same system/PCIe bus.
- Peer-to-Peer Transfers between GPU and FPGAs
Use high-speed DMA transfers to copy data between the memories of the GPU and the FPGA memory.
- DirectGMA for Video
Optimized pipeline for frame-based devices such as frame grabbers, video switchers, HD-SDI capture, and Camera Link devices.
- Extensive support for advanced APIs such as OpenCL™ 2.0, OpenGL 4.5 and DirectX® 12 .
- Superior price/performance and value for integrators and end-users.
On Windows ®, open the GPRO E-Series Driver Control Center and go to the DirectGMA tab